Create Space for Transformation
by Carolyn Adickes, RYT200 and Synergy Yoga Operations
Every new year, we're provided the opportunity to start fresh. We set new intentions (or resolutions) and we face them head on with enthusiasm. We make lists, agendas and spreadsheets, all in the hopes that these things will help us transform ourselves. Within a month or two, we are exhausted because we're under the impression that it's our responsibility to do all the heavy lifting or transformation will not happen.
While there's nothing wrong with lists or spreadsheets, these things will do no good if you don't first create space within yourself for transformation to occur.
Transformation starts on the inside.
"As far as inner transformation is concerned, there is nothing you can do about it. You cannot transform yourself, and you certainly cannot transform your partner or anybody else. All you can do is create a space for transformation to happen, for grace and love to enter." ~ Eckhart Tolle
Here are 5 tips to help you create space and begin your journey:
- Be Present - As you move throughout your day, take time to really focus on the task at hand. Whether it's driving the car, talking to a client or simply playing with your children. Don't worry about what you need to pick up at the grocery store or what time the neighbors are coming over for dinner. There is nothing you can do about them in that moment. So, stop, take a breath and return to the present.
- Meditate - Even five minutes a day to sit in a comfortable position and connect with your breath will allow your mind a chance to slow down, process the days events and create more space.
- Practice Yoga - The benefits to mind, body and spirit are endless. But for anyone who has practiced yoga, you know that the moment we create space in our lives for our practice, our lives transform. Even creating space within the body will allow us to go deeper into a posture. Simply rolling out your mat at home and connecting with your body and breath is enough to get started.
- Stay Positive - Your outlook has a profound impact on the life you live. There is always a silver lining. Find that point of good and hold onto it.
- Be Kind to Yourself - The most important thing to remember as you work on achieving transformation is to be kind to yourself. There are going to be days when you stumble or even fail. Forgive yourself, pick yourself back up and try again. No amount of angry words will change what has happened. By stopping our negative self-talk, we are creating space for a kinder and gentler internal monologue.
See you on the Mat!